Superfoods: My Favorites for a Healthier Diet

9:06 PM

Superfoods: My Favorites for a Healthier Diet - Andrea Tiffany A Glimpse of Glam

Hey everyone!

How are you all doing? I hope September’s been good to you guys so far. I swear the day after Labor Day, the weather shifted right to autumn. It’s crazy. This morning when I walked outside, I could feel that fall chill in the air and smell the undeniably crisp autumn scent. I’m pretty happy bout this change in weather because I can’t wait to break out my boots, leather jackets, and scarves again. Though, I gotta admit I do wear boots when it’s warmer weather too. But, it’s obviously not the same. Are you guys excited for the impending fall?


The one thing I’m not entirely looking forward to this autumn is my soon-to-be stressful fall schedule at school. I’m sure those of you who are still in school have already started. UW is one of those schools that starts later, so I’ve still got a few weeks left. With school starting up and the relaxing summer coming to an end, we all gotta remember to still maintain a healthy diet to keep up with our busy lives. I already eat a healthy diet on a normal basis, but there are a few specific superfoods that I count on the most.

Superfoods Chia Seeds - Andrea Tiffany A Glimpse of Glam

Chia Seeds

I’m sure you are all very familiar with these already. They’ve been all the rage in the past couple years. Chia seeds are packed full of health benefits. They can help keep you fuller for longer because they are a great source of fiber. A good balance of fiber, protein, and fat is what can help keep you sustained between meals and chia seeds are good for that. Because they swell up in liquid, they also provide some nice bulk to foods that can help keep you feeling full too. 

Some people like to just sprinkle them on top of salads or other foods, BUT I highly recommend pre-soaking them in liquid before doing so. Just a mere 5 minutes makes a difference. If you just sprinkle them on, they don’t have the time to absorb liquid. Pre-soaking can also help you eat less calories because chia seeds can be caloric dense. By allowing them to swell in size, that one tablespoon of chia seeds can become three times that. Trust me, it works better that way.

Superfoods Goji Berries - Andrea Tiffany A Glimpse of Glam

Goji Berries

I can’t believe these are so popular these days. I’ve been eating these for YEARS now. My mom would make teas with these for my sister and I every once in awhile. Guess mother does know best. She was on top of this trend before it even was a thing. My mother has always told me that goji berries are really good for your eyes because they have a ton of vitamin A. Goji berries are full of antioxidants such as zinc and iron that can benefit your skin, eyes, and just overall health. I’ve also learned before that they can help balance hormones. However, don’t eat a bucketload of them every day. You can’t make up for anything by overdoing it on goji berries. They may be good for you, but so is sleeping and you can’t “pre” sleep a week in advance. 

As they generally come dried, one great way to enjoy them is to soak them in hot water for 5-10 minutes before adding them to other foods. I usually soak them in hot water, stir in a spoonful of raw honey once the water has cooled slightly, and add a splash of lemon juice for a delicious drink. You can eat them dried, but I don’t really like the texture like that, they stick to teeth too much.

Superfoods Apples - Andrea Tiffany A Glimpse of Glam

Apples

Apples are SO underrated!! People don’t usually see these as healthy foods because apples are so attainable. BUT, they are because they are full of healthy nutritional benefits. I have apples at least a couple times a week (or I try to) because they are so good for you. They have soluble and insoluble fibers, one helps clear out your system if you know what I mean and the other provides necessary bulk to help keep you fuller longer. Apples also have a ton of vitamins and minerals that would do your body some good too. I love slicing some apples to eat with greek yogurt, dipping them in like a “chips and dips” kind of ordeal. Apples taste pretty good with cottage cheese as well, if you remember from one of my food posts last year. You can eat apples in so many ways, and their versatility is what makes them even better.

Superfoods Tea - Andrea Tiffany A Glimpse of Glam

Tea

I drink tea literally every day. Sometimes even several times a day. I have a bunch of different types of teas in the pantry to the point where my mom complains that I shouldn’t buy more until I finish some first. I like having variety to choose from. We all know of green tea being good for you, what with the catechin and antioxidants and whatnot, especially in matcha green tea. But, I also love drinking roobis tea too. Roobis is a red tea that has no caffeine. It is from South Africa from a red bush or something like that. It doesn’t have as strong or bitter of a taste as green tea can have. Roobis has this nice warm richness to it that I really like. Roobis tea is so good for you, and can help clear your skin, prevent cancer and viruses, and is anti-inflammatory. Most teas are really good for you in general. (That is, teas that aren’t processed with sugar and preservatives and whatnot) Teas generally provide caffeine in a way that doesn’t harm your body, has antioxidants, can boost your immune system, and is a calorie-free way to drink something other than water. I like sipping on roobis, green tea, earl grey, or peppermint teas. I know that loose-leaf teas are better than the bagged kind, but teabags are definitely more convenient. I literally carry around teabags in my purse. You don't need to say it, I know I'm weird. Either way, just drink tea. 

Superfoods Walnuts - Andrea Tiffany A Glimpse of Glam

Walnuts

They aren’t the most aesthetically appealing, but they taste pretty good. I once learned that walnuts are good for you brain, which you can remember by their shape. They sort of resemble a brain. Weird, huh? Walnuts taste good sprinkled on oatmeal, salads, yogurt, in trail mix, or just on its own. BUT don’t eat too much at once because walnuts are very calorie dense. I usually like to take a couple and crush them into tiny bits to sprinkle on my oatmeal. That way, I feel like I have more because I have some in every bite, but I’m not actually eating too much. Walnuts have healthy omega-3 fatty acids that are good for you skin, brain, and overall body. The healthy fats help keep you full because they balance the protein and carbs in a meal. Walnuts don’t have a super strong taste, so they complement things pretty nicely. 

Superfoods Health Benefits Nuts.com - Andrea Tiffany A Glimpse of Glam
A handy little chart from Nuts.com about common superfoods
There are other superfoods I really love eating too like blueberries or almonds, but these are the ones I’ve been into more lately. I eat frozen blueberries quite often too (I learned before that there are these antioxidants in blueberries’ skin that is better released when frozen, plus it’s easier to guarantee sweetness when you buy frozen because of issues with berries not always being in season). Almonds are a definite go-to for me when it comes to snacking on the go. But, recently these are the ones I’ve been eating more. 

They say “You are what you eat”, and that’s pretty true. How you eat can really be reflected by your skin, mood, energy levels, etc. Yeah it’s convenient to blitz things up in a blender to make a nutrient packed smoothie, but I find that eating healthy foods in different ways that brings out their unique flavors helps me develop a liking for the foods themselves. In smoothies, foods with a more overwhelming flavor tend to drown out all other ones and you don’t actually taste each unique food. Plus, I just generally like eating foods rather than drinking my calories anyways. 

I definitely recommend reading up on common super foods like goji berries, cacao nibs, matcha green tea, or chia seeds to find out what health benefits they provide. It's always easier to motivate yourself to integrate superfoods into your diet if you know how they actually effect your body. Plus, it helps you find ways to eat them to maximize health benefits. Like adding lemon juice to teas to maximize the antioxidants they provide. Or not using super boiling hot water on raw honey or else it kills the good stuff. 


How do you eat these superfoods? Which superfoods do you like to eat? Lemme know in the comments below some ways you prepare superfoods! 

As always, thank you all for stopping by! I wish you all a wonderful weekend!!


Til next time,


You Might Also Like

60 comments

  1. I really need to start with diet but it is a struggle i admit. Thanks for sharing this tips, would love to try goji berries, because sounds like a very healthy thing to eat xoxo

    www.theninebyivana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivanna! I agree, it can be quite difficult to keep up with, sometimes fries and ice cream just sound so much more appetizing! Goji berries are pretty tasty and they go well in lots of foods so I definitely recommend giving them a try!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Really helpful because I want to start eating healthy. Have a lovely weekend! xx

    Vildana from Living Like V & Stalia Is BAE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad this helped! I hope you have a great day Vildana

      Delete
  3. Some tasty food here, nice post!

    Lauren x | http://www.huggled.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my diet favorites too! Great post! =)

    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the ones I absolutely live by! Thanks Cielo!

      Delete
  5. These food have such good health benefits, really need to eat them more :) x

    www.fashionjazz.co.za

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Having more of these foods in your diet will make you feel so good, I really felt a difference when I started eating more antioxidant rich foods

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Green tea is really tasty! I love having a cup of that in the mornings or just about any time. Thanks Aly!

      Delete
  7. I hope your Autumn schedule doesn't stress you out too much, taking care of what we put in our bodies is definitely a good way of keeping us healthy and helping us deal with things, for sure! I'm also a massive walnut-fan haha :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gabrielle, that's very kind of you :) Even when we aren't in much control over our lives, at least we have control over the foods we eat. Walnuts are such a tasty snack, they go well with or on so many foods!

      Delete
  8. Love this list! I work a few of these into my regular diet, but need to do better!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to keep up a healthier diet as well. It can get boring, but with a variety to fall back on it is easier to keep up. Thanks Ashley!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cool post! Though, i am very thin, but eating healthy is very important😊
    https://lanacouture07.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know about your tips, luckily, I eat/drink almost everything from your list, but I have never tried chia seeds, I have to change it! :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chia seeds are really good! They don't have much of a taste, so it's mostly the texture you would have to get used to. Some people don't like it, but in certain foods you really can't tell. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. I love chia seeds :) I put them in smoothies, chia puddings, in baking and to sprinkle on top of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just the best? I love how versatile they are! They work in pretty much every recipe!

      Delete
  13. Such an informative post! I love superfoods, especially chia seeds!
    xx
    cvetybaby.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess! They are so delicious and really fascinating to see when they form a gel. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Nice post dear! I like chia seeds, apples and green tea)) It's my fave health food)

    >>my blog<<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that we've got similar tastes in food! Thank you Vera!

      Delete
  15. Wow, thanks for this post! I have tried chia seeds and flax seeds on overnight oats and they're a nice addition. They don't taste anything weird (they're tasteless to be honest) and they gave that nice added black spots. haha! Goji berries sound interesting. I am yet to try those. :)

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl
    YouTube
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! At first I was worried about them having a weird taste, but they don't taste like anything. Which is so great because it makes it easier to incorporate into many foods. I definitely recommend goji berries. They are surprisingly tasty! Thank you Jenn!

      Delete
  16. I'm so excited for fall!!! I love this season so much!
    I know all these foods are so healthy but I can't find some of them (like goji berries >.<) here in my country! So I have to please of some apple and many cups of tea!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I order them online from Amazon because I don't see them in stores around here either. You could possibly give that a try? Yesss gotta load up on the tea!! Thank you Roberta!

      Delete
  17. I love this post! I like putting my chia seeds in my smoothies, apples are a must, especially in the fall when I can pick them off apple trees and I've actually never tried goji berries... I've heard they're delicious so I would really love to try them. As far as walnuts go, I much prefer hazelnuts, and I hate walnuts in deserts :/ x

    BeautyPepTalk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I wish I had an apple tree to pick apples from! That sounds so fun, and wayyy cheaper! I haven't tried hazelnuts before. I've had them in foods but not on their own. They sounds good though!

      Delete
  18. Andrea,
    I totally enjoyed reading this post because I am obsessed with superfoods. I love eating good because my mind and body feels great :) I love walnuts and all different types of tea <3
    Have a lovely weekend.

    Kayla xo // Kayla's Vibration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kayla! I really believe that what we eat really impacts how we feel overall. This whole holistic health thinking is what I strongly believe in. Glad to hear that you think similarly!

      Delete
  19. I didn't actually know about goji berries. and yeas apple are little bit underrated when you think of all the benefits you gain from eating them. I love walnuts with yogurt.
    Really nice post dear, very informative.
    Thank you for sharing :)
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apples are such a simple healthy food to get anywhere and everywhere. It's sad that they are often passed over for more "glamorous" hyped up superfoods. Walnuts with yogurt is delicious! Such a great topping choice!

      Delete
  20. I love this post! I'm vegetarian so I always pay a lot of attention to eating healthy. Every morning I use in my smoothie chia and flax seeds. Well done for this post, I really like it.
    Have a lovely day xx

    aishettina.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to become vegetarian but that takes a lot of dedication to make sure all nutrient requirements are met! Plus I love seafood a bit too much haha I want to find more plant based protein sources. Thank you!!

      Delete
  21. This is so good to know! I did not know that tea was a superfood :)
    xoxo

    Ileana

    Novelstyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ileana! It is, tea has a ton of health benefits and antioxidant properties. I love to drink tea

      Delete
  22. So happy to see all the yummy vegan treats in your post!! I love goji berries, I actually hated them at first but the unusual flavour really grew on me. :) <3 Berries in general are just awesome, but I like them more as a snack as I don't find them to be particularly filling. x My favourite superfood of all time would have to be bananas, they're honestly the best thing ever, so healthy and super yummy! They have been my breakfast and half of my lunch for three weeks now and I'm feeling better than ever. :) Thanks for sharing this super useful post, hun, deffo bookmarking this for some ideas! Hope you're well. <3

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first eating goji berries on their own really disgusted me because they do have a strange flavor. But they grew on me as well over time. I like eating berries with other foods to help satiate me because I like bulky foods to fill me up. Bananas are soo good! Thanks for reminding me! I almost forgot! I'm like a monkey when it comes to bananas :) Thank you Kay I hope you are having a wonderful week as well

      Delete
  23. I love chia seeds, and have them sprinkled a lot but do like them soaked in yoghurt as a breakfast treat!
    I also love to put kale in the food processor and blend it until it's in tiny pieces then use it to sprinkle over salads and soups, it's so much easier to digest, even raw
    farah x
    www.vatkinary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chia seeds at such a nice texture to yogurt. I am actually quite fond of their texture. Ooh that sounds like a great idea for kale! I never would have thought to blend it for easier digestion. Thanks Farah!

      Delete
  24. Great post, it's very important to eat healthy. I also love apples, nuts and I really like bananas. :-)
    https://barbiegirl06.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm bananas are a delicious healthy food! They go so well with many foods, and I love eating them as well! Thanks Barbara!

      Delete
  25. I actually quite like spinach if it's put into like a meal for dinner and has spices added to it!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like spinach much raw or on its own, but in a meal for dinner it's very good. I definitely agree with you Aleeha!

      Delete
  26. I am a big fan of all these superfoods! So amazing for your overall health xx
    http://emilysthoughts.wixsite.com/emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I really want to take precaution when it comes to my diet so I can be healthier! Thank you Emily!

      Delete
  27. Great. Thank you for this post. I really need to lose fatt, but it can take time and should be healty. It's great that I have all those thing in my home.

    Would you like to follow each other? I followed you already. <3

    http://makeyourperfectstyle.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amra! I want to tone my body and be healthier as well. I've been trying to keep only healthier foods at home to make it easier for myself haha
      I'll check out your blog! thank you!

      Delete
  28. This was a really helpful post for me because I do want to keep healthy but I don't know much about it yet. I love walnuts and would love to try out goji berries. Niomi Smart talks about them a lot x

    www.wildfirecharm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love watching Niomi's videos! She is so inspiring with the creative ways she makes eating healthy sound appetizing. Goji berries are awesome! They might seem a bit odd tasting at first, but if added to other foods they are great!

      Delete
  29. I love chia seeds! I bake with them and sprinkle them on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I used to be so much better on getting super foods into my everyday diet! Really have to work it back in again! Because I really can tell the difference with and without! Love the post, and a great reminder for me as well to get my diet back in order! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Perfect post i was searching for. Lively Gut is Its all about Health Gut, Keto Diet, Ketogenic Diet, Healthy Diet and Best Health Tips. When you hear about the ketogenic diet, the first thing you perhaps think of is what could possibly make it as good as people say.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Bloglovin'

Follow

Pinterest